Sitting in the heart of campus along Newport’s famed Cliff Walk, McAuley Hall houses classrooms, faculty offices and administrative space for the Office of Academic Affairs. In the spring, Salve’s Commencement events are held on McAuley’s expansive lawn overlooking the Atlantic Ocean.
Designed by the noted architectural firm of Peabody & Stearns, McAuley is a rambling red sandstone mansion built in the Richardsonian Romanesque style and characterized by heavy rustication and rounded arches. Completed in 1883, it is the former centerpiece of tobacco heiress Catherine Lorillard Wolfe’s sprawling Vinland estate.
Named in honor of Catherine McAuley, founder of the Sisters of Mercy, McAuley served the University as both residence hall and library in the years since Salve acquired the property in 1955.