College can be an exhilarating and stressful time in your life. Counseling Services is here to help you manage relationships, coursework, deadlines, living away from home and adapting to a new environment. To schedule an appointment, visit our Make an Appointment page for additional information on our services and eligibility criteria.
Seeking support through counseling is a way to take care of your well-being. Asking for help is a sign of courage and strength, and just recognizing that you might benefit from talking to someone is a huge step. Often a counselor may provide a new perspective, as well as a renewed sense of confidence and competence.
You deserve support and we are here for you. We will continue to nurture a culture of caring that is reflective of our Salve Regina community, and invite you to email us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any specific requests or ideas.
For matters needing immediate attention due to imminent safety concerns, please choose one or more of the following options for support:
- Safety and Security (if you are on campus): (401) 341-2325
- Newport Mental Health (if you are local): (401) 846-1213
- National suicide prevention lifeline: (800) 273-8255
- Crisis text line: Text HOME to 741741
- Trevor Project (LGBTQ suicide hotline): (866) 488-7386 or text START to 678678
- Crisis text line for students of color: Text STEVE to 741741
- Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration disaster distress hotline: (800) 985-5590 or text TalkWithUs to 66756
- National domestic violence hotline: (800) 799-7233
These matters may include but are not limited to:
- I am currently concerned about my ability to keep myself safe.
- I have a current plan to attempt suicide.
- I have taken recent steps to end my life.
- I may physically hurt someone else.
- I have a strong desire to harm someone else.
- I am hearing voices or seeing things other people do not.
Off-Campus Consultations and Referrals
If you are not eligible for counseling services at Salve Regina, or if you would prefer more sessions or a specialized treatment, we can provide local resources. Please email email@example.com for assistance.
If you are not currently in Rhode Island, consultation and referral options are available. In certain cases, remote counseling may be available if our counselors are licensed in other states. When you request services, please let us know where you are residing so we may respond accordingly.
Psychiatric services are limited in Rhode Island and particularly on Aquidneck Island. If you have a current prescribing provider, we strongly encourage you to continue with this provider. We do keep list of local providers that we can email you as well.
There are a handful of ways to find a local therapist or psychiatrist. The easiest is to contact your insurance carrier and ask for mental health, behavioral health or psychiatric referrals to ensure that you have coverage.
The following websites also offer information on providers:
- Psychologist Locator
- BHLink (in Rhode Island)
- Coronavirus Online Therapy
- ThriveTalk Online Therapy
Please note: This list does not signify an endorsement, as we cannot guarantee the availability or quality of any outside services.
If your family is covered by insurance that is provided by an employer, you may have access to low or no cost referrals through their employee assistance program for short-term care.
For any outreach requests, including interviews for class assignments, please contact our office coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org a minimum of three weeks prior to your event or assignment due date with your event details and we will confirm our availability at that time.
There are a number of websites and resources that offer other practical tips and consideration in caring for your mental health. Here are just a handful of resources to consider, and feel to reach out if you like more information.
- Ten Percent Happier with Dan Harris
- Random Acts of Kindness
- Calm Blog
- Ted Talks (Health Tab)
YouTube Talks on Vulnerability, Resiliency and Authenticity