If you cannot spend a semester or academic year abroad, a short-term program might be perfect for you. Short-term study abroad and U.S.-based programs are available to all students. A list of current offerings is available through ViaTRM, our online program search and application tool, while specific questions about course content should be addressed to the faculty member leading the program for which you are applying.
- Minimum 2.7 cumulative GPA.
- You must be in good disciplinary standing at the time of application to be fully accepted into a short-term study abroad program. Students with minor disciplinary infractions on record may be conditionally accepted.
- You must be in good financial standing at the time of departure. If applicable, consult with your parents, the Office of Financial Aid and the Business Office to discuss program costs and payment options.
- Availability of academic credits to fulfill degree requirements. Students who wish to participate in a short-term study abroad program for the sole purpose of personal enrichment will be considered on a space-available basis.
How to Apply
- Visit the ViaTRM login page and create an account using your salve.edu email address. If you already have an account, log in and skip to step 5.
- Complete the initial intake questions.
- Click "Cancel" in the top right corner of the question about program match.
- Click "Profile" in the top left corner.
- Go to the "Traveler Info" tab, fill it out completely and save. This will make the application process easier and ensure all relevant information is entered. It is very important to complete this step prior to starting an application.
- Click on "Programs" in the top left corner. Filter by "Faculty/Teacher Led Program" and you will find all short-term offerings for the year. Make your choice (or all of them) a favorite by selecting the small star on the top right of the picture.
- Once in the program, click "Apply."
- Once your application is reviewed, you will be accepted into the program. Be on the lookout for an email that tells you that you are accepted. You will need to commit to the program in order to complete the next steps.
Required Application Materials
Applications must be submitted by the deadline listed on your program's information sheet. When completing the online application, you must have the following information ready to upload to the application:
- A copy of your valid passport (may be submitted after application deadline). Must be valid for at least six months after the end date of the program for which you are applying.
- A recent photo of yourself. Photo should be cropped to a headshot (head and shoulders only) and be saved as a JPG.
- A goal statement (200-250 words) explaining why you wish to participate in the short-term study abroad program for which you are applying. What goals do you hope to accomplish academically, personally and professionally while abroad? Why did you select the program for which you are applying?
You will receive notification via email within 10 business days of your program’s application deadline informing you whether you have been approved. This email will contain important information about the next steps for all accepted students.
- You must pay a $1,200 deposit and submit any required post-acceptance forms as per the instructions in the acceptance letter to hold your spot in the study abroad program. Students who fail to pay the deposit or submit required post-acceptance forms may forfeit their spot in the program.
- The participation agreement for parents/legal guardians will be emailed or mailed to your primary emergency contact. This must be signed and returned to our office.
- We will make applicable group travel arrangements and purchase supplemental international travel insurance for all deposited students. You will receive information about the insurance policy and proof of coverage at pre-departure orientation.
- You will receive names and email addresses for your faculty leaders and fellow program participants from our office. Please email email@example.com if you prefer not to have your name included on this list.
- Check your salve.edu email account and ViaTRM account frequently. You will receive emails from our office and faculty member(s) leading your program about important pre-departure meetings, course requirements and program information.
- You must attend the mandatory pre-departure orientation listed in your acceptance letter. Parents and/or legal guardians are also welcome to attend pre-departure orientation.
- We will register all program participants with the State Department's Smart Traveler Enrollment Program prior to program departure.