Salve Regina University’s graduate certificate program in expressive and creative arts inspires positive transformation through the arts and creative expression. Our vibrant program trains counselors, therapists, social workers, educators, artists, wellness practitioners and workshop leaders to integrate the expressive and creative arts with the helping professions.
Change the World Through the Arts
Our graduate certificate program uses a holistic, multi-modal approach to the professional application of the expressive and creative arts, concentrating on an integration of visual arts with movement, sound, theater arts and expressive writing. Through guided study and hands-on experiential work, students gain the skills needed to practice the expressive and creative arts in counseling, therapy, education, health care, community organizing or any profession in which personal expression and creative development are essential.
Courses are available at our Newport campus and are offered in an innovative hybrid format, featuring intensive weekend workshops accompanied by independent study modules to further assimilate the learning and practice.
Salve Regina's graduate certificate in expressive and creative arts is designed for practitioners who hold a bachelor’s or master’s degree and are seeking continued professional development. To create a synergistic dual training in expressive arts therapy and clinical mental health counseling, students may co-enroll in one of our graduate programs in counseling. Students with a bachelor's degree pursue the Certificate of Graduate Studies, while students with a master's degree and students who are co-enrolled in one of our master's degree programs pursue the Certificate of Advanced Graduate Studies.
Students who wish to enter the program complete three foundation courses or attend the Expressive Arts Institute, a three-weekend, non-credit training course in the professional applications of the expressive and creative arts.
- HLC535: Introduction to Expressive Sound and Music
- HLC582: Introduction to Expressive and Creative Arts as Transformation
- HLC584: Movement, Creativity and Consciousness: An Introduction
- HLC604: Self Discovery Through the Expressive and Creative Arts
- HLC610: Expressive Theater Arts and Movement: A Multi-Modal Approach to Creativity and Transformation
- HLC611: Group Applications of the Expressive and Creative Arts
- HLC613: Expressive Writing for Personal Growth and Transformation
- HLC615: Utilizing Expressive Sound/Music and Theater Arts for Creativity and Healing