The preferred semester to study abroad varies by academic program. You should work with your faculty advisor to review your academic plan and determine the best semester to study abroad. You must have at least second-semester sophomore standing to study abroad for a semester or academic year.
You are required to take a full course load (at least 12 U.S. credits) during each semester abroad. You should ensure that the courses you take abroad will satisfy requirements toward your Salve Regina degree. Most students take a combination of elective and major courses while studying abroad.
If you cannot spend a semester or academic year abroad, we encourage you to take advantage of short-term opportunities offered during the summer break. Short-term study abroad programs are open to all students regardless of class standing.
You must submit an online application through ViaTRM, which includes a goal statement, resume, a copy of your passport (if available) and two letters of recommendation. See the Steps to Studying Abroad page for more information.
- Fall semester or academic year: March 15.
- Spring semester: Oct. 1. (Select programs have an application deadline prior to Oct. 1. Refer to each program page in ViaTRM for specifics.)
- Short-term summer programs: Deadlines vary. See the Short-Term Programs page for more information.
You must have a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.7 and be in good academic and disciplinary standing. Students with minor disciplinary infractions may be conditionally accepted at the discretion of the director of the Center for Global Education and Fellowships.
- Some programs have a GPA requirement higher than 2.7. This should be considered when selecting a program.
- Students with a GPA below 2.7 will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
- If you fall out of good academic or disciplinary standing at any time prior to going abroad, your approval to study abroad may be revoked.
- Availability of academic credits to fulfill degree requirements. Applicants must have a declared major and have at least second-semester sophomore standing at the time of departure.