Back to Salve: Resources for living and learning on campus during the COVID-19 pandemic. Read more >>

Salve Header Audience Menu

Salve Header Icon Menu

Military and Veterans

We welcome service members, veterans and their eligible dependents and spouses to join our community of learners. Salve Regina is approved for veterans' benefits - including Yellow Ribbon benefits - and has been named a Military Friendly School, a designation awarded to the top 20 percent of colleges, universities and trade schools nationwide that are doing the most to embrace America's military service members, veterans and spouses as students and to ensure their success on campus.

V.A. Educational Benefits

Benefits may be provided to veterans of the armed services who have had active duty service, and are also available to children of deceased or disabled veterans. Department of Veterans Affairs enrollments are certified through the Office of the Registrar. For further assistance, visit the GI Bill website or call (888) 442-4551.

  • For certification questions, call the Office of the Registrar at (401) 341-2943
  • For financial questions, call the Business Office at (401) 341-2900
  • For additional means of funding, call the Office of Financial Aid at (401) 341-2901

Naval War College Articulation Agreement

Salve Regina has an articulation agreement with the Naval War College to provide credit exchange to its students. The University offers two types of benefits for War College students:

  • War College students earning an 18-credit diploma may be eligible to transfer those credits into a master's degree program at Salve Regina. This means a 36-credit master's degree could be earned in just 18 credits.
  • War College graduates and current students may earn a second master's degree from Salve Regina by completing at least 24 credit hours (eight graduate courses) at the University. Of the 24 credit hours required, six credits (two courses) may be free electives completed outside the War College degree plan or conferred degree. These six credits may be transferred from the War College with the approval of the graduate program director at Salve Regina.

For more information, email the Office of Graduate and Professional Studies at

Call to Active Duty

Students who receive orders for active military duty may request, in writing, a withdrawal or leave of absence from the University. In such cases, an original copy of the order should be presented to the class advisor (for undergraduate students) or the director of graduate studies.

A withdrawal or leave of absence without academic and financial penalty may be authorized, enabling students to receive grades of "W" and 100 percent refund of tuition and fees.

If circumstances permit, students may request alternatives, to be determined by the respective administrator in collaboration with course instructors. Some courses may lend themselves to an "Incomplete" grade for an extended period, or to completion via independent study. In these cases, refunds are prorated based on credits to be completed.

Veterans' Benefits FAQ

How do I apply for VA benefits?

  • Contact the VA. For official guidance to your VA benefits, contact your local VA office, call (888) 442-4551 or visit
  • Apply for admission. Contact our admissions offices for information on how to apply. You can reach us online at, or call (401) 341-2908 for undergraduate admission or (800) 637-0002 for graduate and professional studies.
  • Submit a copy of your VA benefit application or certificate of eligibility to the Office of the Registrar. Application forms are available at

What is the appropriate form to submit to Salve Regina?

Most VA students at Salve Regina apply for benefits using one of the following:

  • 22-1990 Application for VA Education Benefits. Use this form if you will be using VA benefits for the first time under the Montgomery GI Bill - Active Duty or Select Reserve, as well as VEAP (Post-Vietnam Era) benefits. This form is used for benefits under Chapters 30, 32, 33, 1606 and 1607.
  • 22-1995 Request for Change of VA Education Program or Place of Training. Use this form if you have previously received VA benefits at another college or university, or if you are changing from one program to another, such as from a bachelor's to a master's program. (Chapter 35 students use 22-5495 for this.)
  • 22-5490 Application for Survivors' and Dependents' Educational Assistance. Use this form if you are the son, daughter or spouse of a qualified veteran. This is used for benefits under Chapter 35.
  • 22-5495 Request for Change of VA Education Program or Place of Training - Survivors and Dependents. Use this form if you are the son, daughter or spouse of a qualified veteran, and have previously received VA benefits at another college or university, or if you are changing from one program to another, such as from a bachelor's to a master's program. This is used for benefits under Chapter 35.

What should I do if I receive both Montgomery GI Bill benefits and Tuition Assistance?

You must provide details to the registrar every academic term (fall, spring and/or summer). Under Chapter 30, students cannot receive Montgomery GI Bill for any course(s) for which Tuition Assistance is awarded, except for the Top-Up program. Also, special rules exist for certain reservists with Chapter 1606 benefits. If you will be using Tuition Assistance and Top-Up, you will not be certified through this office. You should simply submit the Tuition Assistance form to the Buffalo processing office. Please visit the VA website for details about this option.

Is Salve Regina a Yellow Ribbon school? How does Yellow Ribbon work at Salve Regina?

Yes. If you are eligible for CH33 (Post-9/11) at the 100% rate, you may also be eligible for the Yellow Ribbon component of this chapter. If this is the case, call the Office of the Registrar at (401) 341-2943 and we will forward the Yellow Ribbon application to you. Remember, you must provide verification of 100% eligibility before you can apply. Active duty personnel and their spouses are not eligible for Yellow Ribbon.

Do I need to be enrolled full time?

You do not need to be enrolled full time. However, your enrollment does affect the amount of your VA educational benefits. Payment rates can be found on the Veterans Affairs website or by calling (888) 442-4551.

What types of federal VA educational benefits programs can be used at Salve Regina?

  • The Post-9/11 GI Bill (Chapter 33) for those who served at least 30 consecutive days on active duty after Sept. 10, 2001.
  • The Post-9/11 Yellow Ribbon program. The student must be a veteran receiving benefits at the 100% benefit rate payable, a transfer-of-entitlement eligible dependent child or a transfer-of-entitlement eligible spouse of a veteran.
  • The Montgomery GI Bill - Active Duty (Chapter 30) for those who enlisted after July 1, 1985.
  • The Montgomery GI Bill - Selected Reserve (Chapter 1606) part of the GI Bill effective July 1, 1985.
  • The Survivors' and Dependents' Educational Assistance Program (Chapter 35) for the spouse and children of deceased or disabled veterans.
  • The Vocational Rehabilitation Program (Chapter 31) for disabled veterans approved by the VA for study at Salve Regina.

What is monthly certification? Do I need to do this while I am enrolled?

If you are receiving benefits under Chapter 30, you need to inform the VA each month that you are still enrolled at Salve Regina. This is called certifying your enrollment. You can do this by using their online Web Automated Verification of Enrollment (WAVE) system or by calling the toll-free interactive voice response telephone line at (877) 823-2378.

Note: If you are receiving benefits under the Post-9/11 GI Bill (Chapter 33), DEA (Chapter 35), REAP (Chapter 1607) or VEAP (Chapter 32), you do not need to verify your attendance in this manner.

Will the VA pay for my graduation application?

For Chapter 33 recipients only, the VA will reimburse for the graduation application fee. This does not include cap and gown rental.

How can I tell how many months of benefits I have left?

For Chapter 30 and Chapter 1606 recipients, you can check online through the Web Automated Verification of Enrollment (WAVE) system, or call (888) 442-4551. For all other benefits, call the (888) 442-4551 VA helpline.

What happens if I graduate and return for another degree?

You will need to contact the VA office to see if you have any benefits remaining.