LGBTQ+ Center - External Resources
If you or someone you know is in immediate danger or experiencing an emergency, please call 911.
The terminology around LGBTQIA2S+ identities is always evolving. The following websites offer a comprehensive understanding of the latest vocabulary.
- Newport Pride: Supports the LGBTQ+ community and its allies in the Newport area. Advocates for equality and more inclusive policies, provides resources and education to expand community understanding, supports diverse LGBTQ+ identities and history, and produces events for people to connect, learn and celebrate.
- Rhode Island Pride: Brings together the greater LGBTQIA+ community to commemorate its diverse heritage, foster inclusion, educate and create awareness of issues, and celebrate achievements in equality.
- PFLAG Greater Providence: Provides support, education and advocacy for parents, families, friends and allies of LGBTQIA+ people across Rhode Island, southeastern Massachusetts and eastern Connecticut.
- Adult Gender and Sexuality Behavioral Health Program: Offers psychosocial support, behavioral health and wellness services for anyone over 18 years of age who wishes to explore issues associated with their gender identity.
- AIDS Project Rhode Island: Dedicated to providing a compassionate, nonjudgmental and collaborative response to the needs of people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV/AIDS.
- Trevor hotline: Provides 24/7 crisis support services to LGBTQ+ young people. Call (866) 488-7386 or text “TREVOR” to (202) 304-1200 to reach a trained counselor.
- Trans lifeline: A peer support service run by trans people, for trans and questioning callers. Call (877) 565-8860.
- The Trevor Project: The world’s largest suicide prevention and crisis intervention organization for LGBTQ young people.
- It Gets Better Project: A nonprofit organization with a mission to uplift, empower, and connect LGBTQ youth around the globe. Learn more about our work.
- The Safe Zone Project: Provides curricula, activities and other resources for educators facilitating Safe Zone trainings (sexuality, gender and LGBTQ+ education sessions) and learners who are hoping to explore these concepts on their own.
- GLAAD: Tackles tough issues to shape the narrative and provoke dialogue that leads to cultural change. Protects all that has been accomplished and creates a world where everyone can live the life they love.
- Gay, Lesbian and Straight Education Network: Works to ensure that LGBTQ students can learn and grow in a school environment free from bullying and harassment.
- Detox Local: Contains extensive information for QTAAPI folx.
- Live Another Day: Provides equal access to life-saving substance abuse and mental health resources. Features a QTBIPOC recovery guide as well as curated lists of the top-rated rehab centers throughout the country.
- Prevail Recovery Center: Offers Black LGBTQ resources for mental health and substance use.
- Centric Behavioral Health: Provides abundant resources for Asian American LGBTQ folx.
- Southeast Detox: New for 2023, this guide offers extensive information for Black college students.
- Tulip Hill Recovery: Offers abundant resources for Latinx college students.