Student Support

Dean of Students

Students who have an immediate safety or wellness concern should call the Office of Safety and Security at (401) 341-2325.

On-Call Support

Area coordinators are professional Residence Life staff members who can be utilized for support after business hours. They are often one of the first responders to calls regarding a student situation, troubling behavior or crisis. Area coordinators facilitate a professional support network for resident advisors, assist Safety and Security staff as necessary, and provide support for resident students in crisis. The area coordinator on call can be reached through Safety and Security at (401) 341-2325 or through a resident advisor.

Leave of Absence

Students in good academic and disciplinary standing who wish to interrupt their studies for the next semester may apply for a leave of absence through the Dean of the Students Office. In emergency or medical situations where students cannot continue to attend classes during their enrollment, a medical leave of absence may be granted. See the leave of absence policy and medical leave of absence policy for more information.

Emergency Funding

Requests for emergency funding from the Dean of Students Office can include academic-related expenses as well as non-academic needs. Academic expenses include required course textbooks, while non-academic expenses may include an unanticipated trip home due to a family emergency. Requests are received and reviewed on an individual basis. Students are always encouraged to contact the Office of Financial Aid regarding possible loan or grant options.