Best Practices for Format and Style
Best Practices for Format and Style
Marketing and Communications
Salve Regina follows Associated Press (AP) style for event titles and descriptions. Please note that these standards and best practices are subject to change without notice.
- The event title should be concise, ideally less than 65 characters long, including spaces. Longer event titles may be truncated with an ellipsis in some calendar views.
- Principal words should be capitalized. Do not capitalize words like "a," "and," "in," "of" or "the" unless they are the first word of the title. Do not use all caps.
- Single quotation marks should be used around the titles of books, plays, magazines, newspapers, TV shows and movies.
- Event titles should not include details like event sponsor. These details should be included in the event description.
- Numbers 0-9 should be written out. Numbers that are 10 or higher should use the figure.
- References to dates or numbers should not include "st," "nd" or "rd" as part of the date or number (do not write April 1st, May 2nd, June 3rd, July 5th).
- Superscript and subscript should be avoided, instead use straight text (7th annual Health Conference).
- Please proofread titles for proper grammar and spelling.
Event descriptions should provide a sense of who, what and how. Briefly explain who is speaking or performing and what attendees can expect to see or hear. An event title alone generally won't get people to attend. Provide more details and context to generate interest. List any co-sponsors and note if the event is free and open to the public.
Please proofread descriptions for proper grammar, spelling and style.
Event Title and Description Examples
"Dark Money in American Politics" with Sen. Sheldon Whitehouse
American politics is awash in so-called dark money, swamping elections and tilting the U.S. Supreme Court. In this presentation, Sen. Sheldon Whitehouse (D-RI) details the evidence and offers a path to reform that would shine a light on the extent of the influence of big-dollar donors in American public life and curb their power.
Free and open to the public, this event will be held outside on the lawn of Ochre Court. A limited number of seats will be available. Please bring a beach chair and/or blanket for sitting. In the event of inclement weather, this discussion will be held inside Ochre Court.
This event is in partnership with the League of Women Voters of Newport County.
Men’s Lacrosse Camp
The men’s lacrosse camp will be hosted by coaching staff and current student-athletes. This one-day camp is designed for high school players who wish to compete at the next level. Campers will get a realistic experience of what it is like to compete as an intercollegiate student-athlete.
Directed by head coach Patrick Cooney, the camp is open to high school student-athletes graduating in 2022-2025. The fee is $150, which includes a numbered reversible pinney. Participants should bring all lacrosse equipment, including cleats for outdoor competition on field turf, and a personal water bottle.
What's better than a summer day in Newport? Salve Regina alumni, parents, employees and friends are invited to picnic on the lawn of Ochre Court overlooking the Cliff Walk’s ocean views. Celebrate summer with a cookout meal, ice cream dessert and cash bar. Enjoy lawn games and live music featuring Salve Regina students.
Registration is $30 for adults, $15 for children 15 and under, and free for children 4 and under. The registration fee includes one drink ticket, summer bites and a $5 gift to The SALVEfund. Sponsored by the Office of Alumni, Parent and Family Programs.
Only high-quality images are posted to the calendar. A default image for a department, office, group or location may be used if the image provided doesn’t meet requirements. A photo gallery of approved images is available when finalizing image selection for events.
The following kinds of images are not permitted on the calendar:
- Low-quality images or low-resolution images that are provided at a size not large enough for the calendar.
- Images provided at the incorrect aspect ratio, e.g., a vertical image is provided for horizontal display.
- Images containing text (per federal website accessibility requirements).
- Any type of logo other than the official logo for your office/department/group.
- Screenshots or images of posters or document attachments. Images of poster (and text) is not legible on smartphones and images containing text don't comply with federal website accessibility requirements.
- Images that are clearly copyrighted or subject to copyright and written permission has not been provided for online use.
Documents and Attachments
The calendar does not provide space for uploading documents. You are encouraged to provide attachments to Marketing and Communications staff for uploading to the salve.edu website. Documents that duplicate the same information already provided in the calendar title, description or image will not be posted. All documents posted to the calendar must comply with federal accessibility requirements.