Mercy Center for Spiritual Life
The world needs a new kind of leadership – one predicated on a willingness of leaders to turn empathy into action, to walk with others through the challenges of our world, and to empower others. Salve Regina offers an education that is built on the power of mercy to change the world. We challenge ourselves to achieve academic excellence through disciplined development of skills and knowledge, and to cultivate the spirit of mercy within ourselves – to see, to care and to act for the good of others.
At the Mercy Center you will find many ways to serve, including the Mercy in Motion leadership team, retreat leadership, student catechists, service immersion trips, liturgical ministries and service opportunities.
Mercy in Motion
Mercy in Motion is campus ministry’s student leadership team, charged with serving as an inviting, helpful and welcoming presence on campus. The team hosts social events, dinner discussions, spiritual enrichment and community service for all students. Events are held on Wednesday evenings during the academic year.
Team members develop skills that the world needs today through regular formation in hospitality, teamwork, community outreach and engaging the needs of others. They work with Mercy Center staff to design programs that range from discussions on social justice issues to themed parties designed to build community.
- Current undergraduate student (first-year, sophomore or junior)
- Good conduct standing
- Multi-faith, multicultural outlook
- Ability to contribute to a team
- Supportive of the mission of Salve Regina and the Mercy Center for Spiritual Life
- Creative, joyful, outgoing and a hard worker
- Collaborate with the team by planning, leading and hosting weekly Mercy in Motion events
- Create a hospitable and welcoming environment both at the Mercy Center and on campus
- Be attentive to your personal spiritual and religious growth and understanding
- Communicate effectively and efficiently
- Participate in monthly team formations
- Team leadership training during the last week of August
- Welcome Mass on move-in day
- Mercy in Motion events (weekly on Wednesdays at 6 p.m.)
Mercy Leadership Opportunities
Young Mercy Leaders
Hosted at the Mercy International Center in Dublin, Ireland, this pilgrimage invites college students from around the world to experience the riches of the mercy story so they can return to daily life better equipped to be leaders in their schools and in the world.
Mercy Global Action
Hosted at the United Nations, this program invites students to build their capacity and skills for critical thinking and advocacy. Students examine the UN system through the lens of global justice and the critical concerns of the Sisters of Mercy in order to promote a just, equitable and sustainable world for people and the environment.
Mercy Advocacy Program
Hosted in Washington, D.C., this program invites students to learn firsthand about advocating for social justice issues. The program is hosted by the Sisters of Mercy’s Institute Justice Team and sponsored by the Conference for Mercy Higher Education.