It continues to be the University's recommendation that all Salve Regina students remain in their permanent residences through the end of the semester. Please do not return to your off-campus housing if you haven't done so already.
Salve Regina understands that circumstances may preclude you from remaining at your permanent residence during this time. Per order of Rhode Island Gov. Gina Raimondo, if you have recently returned to Rhode Island, or are planning to return in the future, you must self-quarantine for 14 days.
Mandatory travel screening form: The Rhode Island Department of Health is collecting information from out-of-state travelers to assist in the state's response to the coronavirus pandemic. You must complete the travel screening form if you recently returned to Rhode Island from another state or territory or a location outside the United States.
For those who remain in their off-campus residences, Salve Regina offers the following recommendations in the interest of being a good neighbor and protecting the health and well-being of all in the community.
Being a Good Neighbor
- Do not hold large gatherings at your residence. Remember, all gatherings of more than five people are banned and you must practice social distancing at all times. You should be interacting with the same people every day to minimize the risk of spread.
- Remember that your neighbors are likely social distancing at home, so keep music and noise at a respectable level. Also note that schools are closed and your neighbors may be home with children.
- Check on your elderly neighbors. Send a note to check in or drop off extra supplies after a trip to the grocery store. If you are concerned about someone's access to food or supplies, call the Newport Police Department's non-emergency line at (401) 847-1306.
- Being a good neighbor and citizen of Aquidneck Island means contributing positively to public health efforts. If you are sick, stay home. Abide by recommendations from the Rhode Island Department of Health and the Centers for Disease Control.
Things to Remember
- Although the University remains open, many staff are telecommuting. Please contact a staff or faculty member before attempting to meet them at their office. The best mode of communication is email.
- If you need health care, call Health Services to schedule a telemedicine appointment. Health Services can be reached at (401) 341-2904.
- Stop & Shop remains open with modified hours of 7:30 a.m. to 8 p.m. Please note that Stop & Shop is open for customers aged 60 and over from 6-7:30 a.m.
- Although restaurants are currently not open for dine-in service, many are offering takeout or delivery options. View a list of dining options.
- Get out and get some exercise while keeping your social distance. View a list of hiking options.
- Are you a fan of newportFILM? Netflix is currently streaming 15 of their documentaries. Learn more.
Meal Plan Credits
Salve Regina will issue a 14-day credit to all off-campus meal plan holders. The credit will be put back onto your student account and it will be viewable. If you are in a credit balance position, a check can be processed by making a request through E-Refund, which is a link found on the left side in the portal. Checks are typically processed on the Friday after a request is made. At this time all checks will need to be mailed.
If you are an off-campus resident who is not returning to Newport: Once it has been determined that you are not coming back to Newport and will not be using your meal plan, the University will provide you with the remaining credit for your plan, minus the previous 14-day credit. If you are in a credit balance position, a check can be processed by making a request through E Refund, which is a link found on the left side in the portal. Determination is typically made at the end of the semester.
If you are currently residing in off-campus housing in Newport: If you would like access to the grab-and-go options available at Miley Mart, you may partake in them through the meal plan. Please complete the survey emailed to you on March 23 to indicate your intended use of the meal plan so that food may be stocked accordingly and that your Salve ID card may be programmed for access to Miley Hall. If you are living off campus and are worried about access to food, please don't hesitate to ask for assistance. Contact us at (401) 341-2145 or firstname.lastname@example.org.