Back to Salve: Resources for living and learning on campus during the COVID-19 pandemic. Read more >>

Salve Header Audience Menu

Salve Header Icon Menu

For Families

The Office of Residence Life provides a residential learning environment that supports students' personal development. A significant part of our University mission is to prepare men and women for responsible lives by imparting and expanding knowledge, developing skills, and cultivating values.

If you have questions regarding our office, please contact us at (401) 341-2210 or We are happy to answer questions, but please keep in mind that part of our mission is to help students learn to advocate for themselves. In the case of a specific issue, we ask that students contact our office directly so that we may help them to find an appropriate solution.

Residence Life FAQ

What if my son/daughter is homesick?

During the first few weeks of school, it is natural for a student to feel homesick. They may call you asking to come home for the weekend. But, before you decide to pick them up, please keep in mind that it is important for students to begin forming relationships with other students on campus. Try to encourage your student to attend weekend programs, or join a student organization. There is something happening on campus every Friday and Saturday night.

What if my son/daughter is placed in a triple or quad?

First-year students living on campus may find themselves assigned to a room with two or three roommates. These rooms are designed to accommodate three or four people. Students who are assigned to these rooms usually end up loving it once they get over any initial hesitation of living with multiple roommates.

What if my son/daughter is having trouble with a roommate?

If your student is having difficulties in their room or with their roommate, encourage your student to consult our roommate conflict policy. There are tips for living with a roommate, as well as a step by step guide to handling a roommate conflict.

What if my son/daughter wants to change rooms?

If your student would like to change rooms, the first step is to have a conversation with their Resident Advisor. Their RA will direct them to the proper steps in requesting a room change.

What if something in my student’s room needs to be repaired?

Students are responsible to report any facilities issues within their rooms. Students can request repairs through the portal. In an emergency situation, security can be reached 24/7.

What is an RA?

An RA or Resident Advisor is a sophomore, junior, or senior student who is hired and trained by the Office of Residence Life to build community in their area, ensure safety and security of their buildings and act as a resource for residents. RAs are required to hold programs for their residents and are trained to manage anything from roommate conflicts to emergency situations. If your student is experiencing any difficulty in the residence halls or in general, their first step should be to talk with their RA.

If I have a concern about my student and their experience in the residence hall, should I contact the Resident Advisor?

The Resident Advisor is an upper-class student leader who lives in the residence hall and is there to mentor and support your student. However, please keep in mind that RAs are students as well. If you have a concern, please contact a professional staff member from the Office of Residence Life.

Who can I contact if I have a concern about my son/daughter and their experience in the residence halls?

If you have a question or concern regarding your student's living experience, please contact their resident director or area coordinator. Resident directors and area coordinators are professional staff members who oversee different buildings on campus. They can be reached at the Office of Residence Life at (401) 341-2210.

How does my student become an RA?

Each January, our office starts the Resident Advisor selection process for the following academic year. Students who have completed at least two semesters of college (at least one semester at Salve Regina) with a GPA of 2.5 or higher are eligible to apply. If your student is interested in applying, they should inquire with their own RA, view the RA selection page on our website, or contact our office at