March 31 - To the Class of 2020: Commencement update and RSVP form
Dear Class of 2020,
Thank you for your patience as we work to finalize details related to celebrating your achievements at Salve Regina on Sunday, May 16. We continue to monitor data in consultation with the state, as well as our colleagues at other higher education institutions, in order to logistically manage Commencement in a safe and responsible way for all.
Although recent guidelines state that as of May 1, venues of assembly may "allow capacity to be 10 percent of the venue's regular seating capacity, up to 1,000 attendees," that number does not account for social distancing requirements. The space that Salve Regina has available (customary tent on the McAuley Hall lawn) has a COVID-19 capacity of just over 300 people due to the social distancing requirement. While the gathering limit has increased, the social distancing requirement has not changed, which affects the number able to assemble in the tent space.
Stadium spaces and other options outside of campus are either unavailable or require orchestration that would logistically challenge both organizers and attendees in such a way that we would not be providing you with the recognition you deserve as a Salve Regina graduate. Again, our goal is to provide you with the opportunity to process and walk across the dais according to tradition, in a manner that is fair for all.
Below please find details regarding your ceremony, along with affiliated activities for those who were undergraduate students in 2020.
- The Commencement ceremony for both undergraduate and graduate recipients will be celebrated at 10 a.m. Sunday, May 16. Please RSVP for the ceremony by Wednesday, April 28.
- All members of the Class of 2020 participating in activities on Saturday, May 15 and/or the Commencement ceremony on Sunday, May 16 will be required to provide proof of a negative COVID-19 test administered within 48 hours of the event/ceremony upon check-in.
- Baccalaureate Mass will be celebrated at 3 p.m. Saturday, May 15. Please RSVP for the Mass by Wednesday, April 28. The Mass will also be offered virtually.
- Individuals who were undergraduates in 2020 and are now graduate candidates in 2021 may choose to attend one or both celebrations on their scheduled dates (May 6 and May 16).
- A clambake and Commencement Ball for undergraduate students have been planned. Tickets go on sale Thursday, April 1.
- The University has worked with our hotel partners to offer discounted rooms for you and your families.
- If you have decided that you will not be participating in Commencement, please let us know via the RSVP form by Wednesday, April 28.
- Salve Regina is unable to provide any viewing venues for parents or families at this time as all larger spaces and resources have already been allocated to other Commencement operations.
- Students who ordered regalia can pick it up in the Salve Regina bookstore beginning in late April. You may pay for it during pickup or call the bookstore to pay for the regalia and have it shipped.
- Photographs in regalia with family members may be taken on campus on Saturday at any time, or on Sunday after 2 p.m. We ask that you follow safety protocols and keep a safe distance from others while taking photographs. Masks are mandatory on campus but may be removed briefly (and safely) for photos. Masks should also be worn on the Cliff Walk at all times.
We continue to monitor conditions impacting our campus and will provide updated information as often as possible. Please check our Commencement website for the latest information as well.
Thank you again for your patience and understanding as we work within the parameters of our physical campus and state guidelines to offer the personal experience you requested in the safest manner possible.