The peer mentor program for international students connects committed student mentors with incoming international students to improve their academic achievement and social competence and to facilitate smooth adjustment into their new environment.
By sharing experiences and insights, peer mentors can ease the transition process for new international students by making deeper connections that enhance the quality of the international student experience.
Goals and Objectives
- To help new students adjust and transition into Salve Regina life smoothly and easily
- To help new students identify campus resources in order to be academically successful
- To help new students navigate the nuances of American culture
- To help new students actively engage in and out of class and facilitate their involvement in extracurricular clubs and student life activities
- To offer guidance and serve as a member of a collaborative support system for new students
- To facilitate foundations for long-term friendship
Small groups of new international students will be paired with a peer mentor, who will organize weekly social activities for the mentee group, answer questions and help the mentees have a positive experience at Salve Regina. Mentors are encouraged to work with other mentors in teams where they can meet and share ideas about mentoring. Mentors are encouraged to interact and have fun with all fellow mentors and international students.