Back to Salve: Resources for returning to campus during the coronavirus pandemic. Read more >>

Salve Header Audience Menu

Salve Header Icon Menu

Understanding Your Award

We award financial assistance based on the information families provide. This information helps us to distribute that assistance as fairly as possible.

You must apply for financial aid every year, and your package may change as a result of changing circumstances. If your family circumstances remain stable, the need-based portion of your financial aid package should remain relatively consistent. Significant income changes and/or a change in household size or the number of students in college can have a major impact on eligibility.

If you move off campus, your average costs are lower, and that adjustment is reflected in a reduced award. Off-campus room and board costs can vary greatly. We use an average off-campus budget, which is approximately $3,500 lower than the on-campus budget.

It is important to remember that regulatory changes and the availability of federal and state funds may vary from year to year and may impact the amount of aid we are able to award. Eligibility for federal funds is determined from the information you provide each year on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

Special Circumstances

  • If your family's income or situation changes considerably from one year to the next due to extreme circumstances such as the death of a parent, unemployment, retirement or significant out-of-pocket medical expenses, please contact our office for guidance.
  • To apply for funding as an independent student, you must meet one of the qualifications listed on the FAFSA. Self-supporting students do not qualify as independent without meeting one of the established criteria.
  • If you were a citizen of another country but now have status as an immigrant or permanent resident, you are eligible to apply for financial aid.
  • Divorced or separated parents should submit information from the custodial parent (the one with whom the student lives the majority of time). If you spend an equal amount of time with each parent, documentation must come from the parent who provided the majority of financial support for the past year. By law, stepparent income must be included in the household income of the custodial parent.
  • Requests for reconsideration of aid must be made in writing to the director of financial aid. Files must be complete before a reevaluation of assistance will be considered.