The Center for Student Development offers a dynamic four-year co-curricular trajectory for students to cultivate holistic growth, leadership and the tools to create positive social change.
The Navigator Leadership Development Program is a four-year leadership program drawn from the social change model of leadership development. This model is aligned with Salve's mercy mission and is designed to help students develop as leaders through social responsibility at the individual, group and societal level. Through Navigator, students participate in co-curricular programming that promotes the exploration and development of values drawn from the social change model. Navigators also develop impact projects to address topics and social issues of their choosing.
Navigators are Salve students who are committed to self-growth and creating change. This program is designed to complement a student’s entire undergraduate experience, building upon academic and co-curricular experiences.
Navigators attend campus programs which explore core values of the social change model; organize, design and plan an impact project aimed towards creating change for a particular issue on our campus or in our local community; earn a certificate of completion at the end of each year; and learn to be a social change leader and gain transferable skills for post-college ventures.
Each year of the program is themed to connect students with co-curricular programs aligned with the core values of the social change model – individual, group, community and global. The model is aligned with our mercy mission in that it provides students with the tools to enact positive social change.
Benefits of the Navigator Leadership Development Program
- Students develop the tools and skills necessary to help create positive social change. They will also develop competencies that are important to employers, including teamwork/collaboration, leadership, professionalism, problem solving and communication.
- Students experience a unique co-curricular program that highlights and enhances their education at Salve.
- Students discover who they are as an ever-changing individual, what they are passionate about, and how to channel that passion into their careers and purposeful lives.
- Students who complete the program receive certificates and a pin acknowledging and celebrating their accomplishments. In addition, they have an electronic portfolio through Portfolium that details their co-curricular experience and can be shared with future employers, graduate programs or other post-graduation opportunities.
- Students who submit the reflection that best demonstrates the achievement of outcomes receive the class award at the Student Affairs awards dinner. Class awards are given to one student in each class.
What Our Students are Saying About Navigator
"The Navigator leadership program has given me the ability to understand how one can learn outside the given curriculum. This program was an amazing opportunity for me to gain outside-the-box knowledge on skills that help me to engage in changing the community around me, and eventually changing the much larger problems in the world." Cole Tindall '20
"The Navigator Leadership Development Program has definitely helped me face, comprehend and come to terms with all aspects of myself, which is definitely the first step in becoming a good leader." Kathleen Christ '20
"The events I went to for Navigator truly enhanced my overall knowledge about culture, religion and the issues of today. I am glad I went to these programs and I am not sure I would have gone to most of them if it were not for Navigators requirements." Karina Rapoza '20
Students who are interested in the Navigator Leadership Development Program should email email@example.com for the application and additional information.