The Exploratory Day of Service provides a common experience for incoming students that encourages a commitment to service and creates a shared opportunity for reflection and learning. Volunteers are dispersed throughout Aquidneck Island to support and meet the needs of local community agencies and individuals.
Students participating in the Day of Service:
- Develop an awareness of the issues affecting the Aquidneck Island community.
- Develop an increased knowledge of the various community partners working to improve the Aquidneck Island community.
- Help improve the Aquidneck Island community in the near future.
The 2013 Day of Service included 400 student participants, 16 faculty and staff and 28 student mentors. Twenty-five local community partners took part in the day as well, totaling an estimated 1,332 hours served for the day.
The 2014 Day of Service will be held Tuesday, Sept. 2. Click here to register as a community partner host site. For more information, contact Kelly Powers, director of community service, at (401) 341-2641 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Bike Newport
- Boys and Girls Clubs of Newport County
- Boys Town New England
- Child and Family
- Clean Ocean Access
- Cluny School
- Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Community Center
- East Bay Community Action Program Head Start
- Fort Adams Trust
- Heatherwood Nursing and Rehabilitation Center
- James L. Maher Center
- Learning Unlimited
- Lucy's Hearth
- McKinney Cooperative Shelter
- Methodist Community Gardens
- Middletown Senior Center
- Mumford Manor
- Newport Art Museum
- Norman Bird Sanctuary
- Rose Island Light House
- The Salvation Army
- Save the Bay
- Seaman's Church Institute
- St. Clare Home
- St. Paul's United Methodist Church